Do you want to start gymming but don’t know where to start?
Are you looking to build yourself a home gym?
Dumbbells should be at the top of your list. Because of their wide range of uses, they are perfect for beginners. And adjustable dumbbells are the best option for at-home exercise equipment.
Why should you use Dumbbells?
Dumbbells are the most commonly used home gym equipment. They offer a wide variety of exercises to strengthen different parts of the body.
There are many reasons why dumbbell exercises are so popular. Besides offering more variety than other basic gym equipment, they are also easy to store and handle.
Moreover, unlike fixed or heavy machines, dumbbells allow a more excellent range of motion.
Best Dumbbell Exercises for Beginners
- Lateral Raise
- Start by holding a dumbbell in each hand and standing straight
- Keep the dumbbells next to your outer thighs
- Then, with your arms straight, slowly lift the weights outwards to the sides
- Hold your arms parallel to the floor
- Slowly bring them back to the original position
This dumbbell exercise works your deltoid muscles. It is a basic exercise for beginners as it doesn’t require a lot of core strength.
- Bicep Curl
- Stand up straight with a dumbbell in each hand
- With your palms up, hold the weights next to your thighs
- Keep your elbows close to the body and don’t move your upper arms
- Slowly curl the weights up towards your shoulders while exhaling
- Hold then return to starting position
As the name suggests, this exercise strengthens your biceps. It helps beginners to build strength for heavier weights.
- Dumbbell Lunges
- Hold a dumbbell in each hand by your side, palms inwards
- With your back straight, take one step forward
- Inhale and bend your knee until your thigh is parallel to the ground
- Balance your rear leg on your toes with your knee bent at a right angle
- Hold, then push off the front foot while exhaling
- Return to a standing position and repeat with the other leg
Lunges are the classic full-body workout. It activates and strengthens many muscle groups. Dumbbell lunges also enhance your balance.
- Farmer’s Walk
- With a dumbbell in each hand, stand straight
- Set a particular distance and take short quick steps
- Brace your core and keep your torso upright
- Maintain your speed
This is one of the best dumbbell exercises for beginners as it doesn’t have any specific form rules. It also has a lower injury rate.
- Bench Press
- Lie down on a flat surface; floor or bench
- Place your feet flat on the ground
- Keep your upper arms stable on the surface
- Hold up your forearms right-angled to the floor
- Keep the weights close to your chest with palms facing your feet
- Slowly extend your elbows and raise the dumbbells
- Hold your arms straight above your head
- Then slowly bring the weights back to chest level
Bench press aka chest press is usually done using an adjustable barbell. But dumbbells will work more muscles in your chest and shoulders.
Some other dumbbell exercises are:
- Shoulder press
- Bent-over row
- Calf raise
- One arm swing
- Tricep kickbacks
- Wrist curls
- T press-up
- Arnold press
Dumbbells are one of the basic gym equipment, especially for beginners.
With a foldable workout bench and an adjustable dumbbell set, you can build the perfect home gym for beginners.